Ms. Watson’s Reading lessons for April 27-May 1
This week we are going back to our Home Away from Home essays. Yes, please write an introduction, a paragraph a day (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs), write your conclusion and submit it to me on Friday or Saturday. This essay is all about what you have done this past week. I will send mine to you on Saturday. If you need more information, you can look at my posts about the Home Away from Home essay.
Monday: (at least 30 min)
- Watch the video about Rudyard Kipling, if you have access to the internet
- If you do not have internet, read the biography about Rudyard Kipling, included in your take home packet.
- Begin reading Rikki Tikki Tavi on Commonlit.org. You can log into your class and begin reading the assignment. Answer the Guided Reading Questions as you go through the story.
- If you do not have internet, read the story that is included in your packet. It is a longer story, so we have planned to have you read it over two days. Answer the Guided Reading questions as you read through the story.
- Here is the audio link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4eRaWE2Sw
- Home Away from Home essay: Paragraph one-what did you do today?
Tuesday: (at least 30 min)
- Finish reading Rikki Tikki Tavi, and answering the Guided Reading questions.
- Complete the Text Dependent Questions and Discussion questions online, or write your answers to the questions in the story and those that follow the story in the take home packet.
- Home Away from Home essay: Paragraph two-what did you do today?
Wednesday: (at least 30 min)
- Take the AR quiz for Rikki Tikki Tavi
- Watch the video to help you visualize Borneo:
- Read “A Cobra in the Garden” on Commonlit.org
- Answer the guided reading, text dependent and discussion questions on the story either online, or in the take home paper packet.
- Home Away from Home essay: Paragraph three-what did you do today?
Thursday: (at least 30 min)
- Answer the following questions in paragraph format, using evidence to support your answers and send to your teacher via office365 or write your answers on a separate piece of paper to be turned in at the end of this week with the rest of your grade level work.
What is the theme of both texts? Are they similar or different?
How do the texts depict the relationship between humans and animals?
How are cobras depicted in both texts? How are they the same? How are they different?
- Home Away from Home essay: Paragraph four-what did you do today?
- Edit and submit your short responses to your teacher through office 365, or prepare to send them back with your take home packet.
- Practice Identifying relationships between ideas on NoRedInk.com
- Complete any NoRedInk, Study Island, or Freckle assignments that you may not have finished from the past weeks.
- Home Away from Home essay: Write your introduction and conclusion to your essay. Email it to Ms. Watson, or you can send it back in your take home packet.
Keep doing your best! If you have any questions, you can always email me!